Saturday, July 17, 2010

It has been two weeks since my venoplasty procedure and I’m feeling good. I’ve experienced significant symptom relief and the positive changes continue to accrue (I’m waiting to write about the latter until I can describe them better).

One thing is quite clear to me now: my symptoms can be lessened by treating the illness as a problem in my veins. I’m not trying to analyze or understand the disease and I’m not exactly sure what to call it in fact. As a person living with things that don’t work well in my physical body and parts of my brain, I’m just shooting for maximum symptom relief!

Of course, I’ll be reading and asking questions about how to undo the damage caused by all the years I’ve carried this problem in my body and brain. At the moment I barely know where to start: iron deposit removal, chelation, poorly oxygenated blood issues, or something else entirely?

Just to be able to sit here and keyboard my thoughts without battling thick, dense layers upon layers of cog fog, that only two weeks ago I had to cut through with a sharp blade but can now barely see at the periphery of my thinking, is such a joy. I am truly thankful for that. My spiritual leanings show me that, in the end, I am not my body nor my brain---but I admit it is much easier for me to function in this world with a brain that can handle issues better and, yes, a body better equipped for life’s challenges.

In the coming days I’ll be helping host a fundraising dinner for Dr. Michael Dake’s CCSVI clinical trial. As part of a group of people with MS trying to advocate for more CCSVI research and treatment, I would like to assist Dr. Dake’s efforts in launching a trial at Stanford University Hospital where he works as Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery. The event is scheduled for Saturday, August 14, 2010 in Albany, California with Dr. Dake in attendance as the guest speaker.

This is a very important effort for patients worldwide! If you’d like to contribute to the fundraiser please comment on this post and I’ll send you all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment