Thursday, January 13, 2011

To the Mailbox

Just to give you an idea of the speed (or lack thereof) of my recovery, today I was able to leave my house after about 48 hours of being indoors. My grand adventure was to go up to the mailbox at street level, retrieve the mail and come back.

I managed very well even in a pair of wading boots and without a cane! But that was the extent of my interaction with the world outside and my body was happy to go back to resting on the couch.

Other people who have undergone a procedure similar to mine have said that it took them quite some time to bounce back. So I'm not rushing to do more than what seems reasonable. I learned the hard way when I was first diagnosed in 1988 that if I try to get up and party again before my body is ready, I end up having a relapse and it takes even longer. Patience, patience, patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment